I had a number of questions come through on pure wool work socks! It’s a tough call as most I’ve come across are mixed with nylon for durability/structure for the work sock.
Wool is PERFECT for feet. The wool fibre naturally wicks away moisture so you’re not left with that sweating clammy feeling and has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. The thin waxy coating of wool fibre contains fatty acids that inhibit the growth bacteria – which means that woollen items do not need regular washing and will smell fresh after repeated use, unlike synthetic fibres.
Prices correct at time of writing – please check actual sites for details!
- Original wool blend 50% wool 50% nylon $14-17, and are available at Lowes, Big W and Woolworths.
- Good level cushioning all around, good thickness for boots.
- These were the most represented sock brand in my wardrobe..
- Icebreaker: Range of compositions 65% merino/33% nylon
- New Zealand
- I’m a super fan of their medium ‘Hike’ range. Great with hiking boots, RMW, work boots, travelling with on foot touristing.
- Icebreaker socks are currently is the most represented brand of socks in my wardrobe! Mr. B and I have a number of pairs of these at medium/light cushioning from Icebreaker’s Lifestyle, Hike and Liner ranges.
- Prices start around $30 but the best bit? Lifetime sock guarantee!
- Read more about it here | I took on old worn pair back to store, and went home with a new pair! No kidding.
Have heard great things about – but haven’t personally bought (yet!)
- National Wool Museum (NMW), Geelong, knitted on the Museum’s own Komet Sock Knitter!
- Keep an eye on special programs and exhibits – I’ve been for a felting workshop and the Wildlife Photographer of the Year 54 with Happy Birthday Playschool.
- 100% Aussie Made + Owned
- 77.5% wool, 22% nylon 0.5% lycra Mining Sock $19.90
- 78% wool, 20.5% nylon, 1.5% lycra Feet first designed to be worn with steel caps $21.20
- Made in Crookwell, NSW. They’ve got extra hard wearing section
- The Thick Full Cushioned Sock 75%, 22.5 micron merino wool and 25% nylon.
- Tasmanian – For pure wool, Mongrel Socks 20.5 micron superwash easy-care Pure Wool
- https://www.mongrelsocks.com/pure-wool-mongrel-socks $33.50
What have you got on your feet?
Leave a comment and I’ll add them to this list for other’s on the woolly hunt for socks!